Whether you’re downsizing, relocating for work, or simply wanting a change of scene, moving homes is a monumental task with a significant price tag. Many underestimate the costs and are often taken aback when confronted with the bills. To avoid getting blindsided, it is crucial to understand the cost breakdown that comes with moving.
This covers everything, from purchasing packing materials to hiring specialized movers like our local movers Bronx What is the actual cost of moving? This is a question that this essay seeks to answer in detail by dissecting the topic.
What Is the Cost of Moving?
Moving across town or the country can be an exciting experience. Most people considering moving have one common question: how much will it cost?
It would help if you considered all the moving costs, such as the cost of living and the need to balance two mortgages or rents during the transition.
Moving Costs Estimation
About half of the people who move, whether short or long, use professional movers.
HomeAdvisor estimates that these are the average moving costs. Prices vary depending on the distance and region.
|Type of move||Average charge||Extra charges|
|Local/intrastate (under 100 miles, including 2 movers + truck)||$80-$100 per hour||+ $25-$50 extra per additional mover|
|Interstate/cross-country (over 100 miles)||$2,000-$5,000 per move||+ $0.50 per pound|
What Is the Cost of Moving Across Town?
Local moves are the most common type of move. According to research, 57% of homebuyers who also sell their home will move to the same city and 86% within the state.
Local moves are usually priced at an hourly rate, which includes the truck and two movers. Your move will be longer if your house is larger. According to research, sellers typically pay $475 on average to professional movers to move locally.
|Size of house||Estimated time of move||Average price range|
|1-bedroom apartment||3-5 hours||$240-$500|
|2-bedroom apartment||4-7 hours||$320-$700|
|3-bedroom house||6-8 hours||$480-$800|
|4-bedroom house||8-12 hours||$640-$1,200|
When Should I Book Local Movers Bronx in Advance?
You must book your movers four weeks in advance, as most people will move between May and September. If you book early, you’re more likely to get a day and time that suits you and a crew with experience.
The cheapest days to move are Monday through Thursday. You can book movers on short notice during the off-season (October to April).
What Is the Cost of Moving Across the Country?
Local movers usually charge per hour. However, the price will depend on weight and distance for cross-country moves.
Your mover will provide an “empty weight receipt” before the move. Once your items are all loaded into the truck, your mover will weigh it again to calculate your moving costs.
Do you have yet to learn what your possessions weigh? Before you sign, reputable movers will provide you with an estimate based on the average weight of homes your size.
The goods in a 3-bedroom apartment of 1,000 square feet typically weigh around 5,000 pounds. The furnishings of a 2,800 square-foot, four-bedroom house weigh around 20,500 pounds.
The more distance a moving company must travel to deliver your goods, the higher their bill. In addition to weight-based fees, you’ll be charged per mile. Ask if you’ll be charged for any extra transportation costs, such as fuel or tolls.
How Much in Advance Do I Need to Book Movers for My Long-Distance Move?
You’ll want your interstate or cross-country move booked as soon as possible, ideally six to eight weeks before your move.
The moving costs you will incur depend on the service level you choose.
- Just a truck rental: You can rent a truck and do all the work yourself. This includes packing, loading, transporting, unloading, and unpacking. A flat per-day rate costs around $20, depending on truck size, plus gas and mileage charges.
- Loading, transportation and unloading: The hard lifting, including loading, transporting, and unloading, can be handled by professional movers. This will save you time and money. This service is available for local moves ranging from $200 for a one-bedroom apartment to $1,000 for a four-bedroom house.
- Full-service move: Let the professionals handle everything, from wrapping and packaging your items to loading, transporting, and unloading. Unpacking and settling in will be your responsibility. This is a long-distance move. Between $2,000 and $5,000 is what you should budget for transportation, plus $0.50 per pound and $25 to $50,000 per hour for packing and unpacking assistance.
- Temporary storage: If you can’t move on the dates that work for you, it may be necessary to temporarily store your belongings in a moving container or storage unit. Storage facility rates range from $50 for a small storage unit to $300 or 400 for larger ones. A portable unit delivered to your home, loaded by you, and kept in a warehouse will cost you between $150 and $300 a month.
- Moving supplies: Renting hard plastic boxes is a greener option than buying and recycling boxes. Prices range from $50 weekly to $200 for enough boxes to fill a one-bedroom apartment. The rental service will collect the boxes once you are done. Check your local “buy-nothing” group or moving company rental service to save money on cardboard.
Additional Costs of Moving
Keep these moving costs in your budget when calculating it:
- Transport surcharges are charged if a moving company pays its workers more to work in metropolitan areas, where labor costs tend to be higher.
- Full Value Protection Insurance (Released Value Protection is usually included at no charge by movers, but only $0.60 per pound for each article lost or damaged).
- Vehicles, such as cars, boats, and motorcycles, are subject to charges for transporting them.
- Surcharges on moving large or fragile items
- If the mover has to walk over 75 feet to reach the truck or needs to use an elevator or stairs, there will be additional charges.
- If your street is too narrow for a moving truck, they must transport your items with a smaller vehicle.
- Moving costs are unexpected if your home is delayed and the moving company must store your belongings.
Moving Cost Agreements
A reputable moving firm should quote using the Tariff 400 N, a standard rate book for the industry published by the Household Goods Carrier Bureau. Moving quotes come in two different types:
The industry standard is non-binding estimates. These estimates are based on the company’s best estimate of your pay but need to be more accurate. Choose a quote that does not exceed the final bill.
Quotes that do not exceed a certain price are those where the moving company guarantees a specific maximum.
After thoroughly discussing the costs involved in moving, it’s evident that the financial aspect of relocation is not limited to just moving your belongings from one place to another. Your cost can vary greatly depending on distance, weight, time of year, etc. In most cases, the services of experienced movers in Bronx can immensely benefit you. They can offer customization and flexibility that cater to your budget and needs.
The role of professionals like 5 Star Movers Bronx here is crucial because they ensure a smooth moving process and provide you peace of mind while dealing with all the logistics. They can even help you avoid any unintentional costs due to inexperience.
We hope this breakdown has given you a greater understanding of moving costs. So, if you plan to move, consider all the expenses, not just the obvious ones. Prepare your budget wisely and make your moving experience as stress-free as possible.
As your next step, consider contacting 5 Star Movers Bronx for a seamless, cost-effective experience. Their proficiency in managing all types of moves makes them a reliable choice for your relocation journey. Visit their website or call for a more precise estimate based on your needs. Make your move confidently, and let their local movers Bronx help you begin your new chapter positively with 5 Star Movers Bronx.
Dillon Buckley is a distinguished Moving Company Expert, renowned for his extensive knowledge and expertise in the realm of the moving industry. With an exceptional talent for articulating complex moving processes into easily digestible information, he has earned recognition as a go-to authority for individuals seeking guidance on relocation, packing, and everything in between.