When the time comes to pack up years of accumulated belongings and transport them to a new location, many ask: “Should I hire a professional moving company or undertake the challenge of DIY moving?” The decision could be more straightforward and depends on time constraints, budget, and personal energy.
This article explores the best option for your next relocation – shedding light on the strengths and weaknesses of hiring a moving company versus DIY moving. Let’s delve into the interesting world of DIY moving and make an informed decision for your next transition.
Do You Need to Hire Movers, or Do You Want to Move Yourself?
Moving involves a lot of decisions. The decision of which Realtor to hire, the house to purchase, and what furniture to move is difficult. It’s also important to decide whether hiring movers or doing the move yourself is better. We’re happy to assist you in determining the best option for your move.
The decision to hire movers versus move yourself depends on some factors, including your budget, your proximity to your new home, your personality, and the complexity and difficulty of your move, as well as your budget. Most people need help carrying a sofa and mattress down a flight of stairs. You may also not have friends who can do the heavy lifting or are handy. Many of us are left with only one option: hiring movers. Many people have done several DIY moves and saved money.
Before choosing one course of action, weigh the benefits and risks of DIY moving and hiring movers.
- You are in total control of your move. The biggest advantage to DIY moving is that you have complete control over every aspect. You can choose your truck, all moving supplies, and boxes to ensure nothing gets damaged. When you commit to DIY moving, you can decide when to start and end the move. You can choose how to protect your possessions if you move during bad weather. Also, you can decide how the truck is loaded. You don’t need to worry that movers will place furniture and boxes in the wrong room.
- Save money. If you are on a budget, DIY moving may be for you. Even if it’s just moving next door, hiring a mover can be expensive and cost more than you expected. Renting a moving van could save you thousands.
- Pack your items however you like – As with the previous pro, when preparing to move yourself, you do not have to worry about packing everything perfectly. When the movers arrive, they will expect all boxes to be sealed. By moving yourself, however, you will not have to pack oddly shaped items, like lamps and plants. Worrying about how to pack simple items like pillows and blankets is unnecessary. Pack as little or as much as you like – make sure everything is in the truck when moving day arrives.
- The worst part of DIY moving may be that you must do all the heavy lifting yourself. This is true unless you have the strongest and best friends to help. Even so, moving all those heavy boxes and large pieces of furniture will be challenging – especially when stairs are involved. You or your friends who are not experienced movers could scratch or mark the walls when moving couches and beds. Moving a one-bedroom apartment without professional help may be possible, but moving a five-bedroom home may cause you to break your back.
- It takes a lot of planning. Don’t be misled; hiring a moving service also requires planning. It will take a lot of planning to coordinate an entire move. It’s important to consider the logistics of moving your belongings from A to B. This includes deciding which items to load first, what to place last, and how to arrange them inside the truck.
- You may be unable to fix unexpected problems if something happens like your couch is stuck in the front door. You could spend hours fixing the problem without the help of professional movers or certain moving tools.
- Leave the heavy lifting up to the pros. These trained movers are there for a good reason. You won’t need to lift and carry heavy sofas down the stairs or out the front door if you hire a reputable company. Also, you won’t need to worry about straining your muscles, scratching new floors, or asking friends for help. You can instead focus on other important tasks, such as watching your child or pet. You can also relax and take a break.
- It will be effective to move. You can count on their dependability if you work with a trustworthy, knowledgeable moving company. Unlike friends, the moving firm will continue to do business. Moving firms should arrive on time and with the required tools and materials. Thanks to this, you won’t have to assemble dollies and furniture pads at the last minute. Long-term savings from using a reliable moving company are substantial.
- Overall, less stress – Hiring movers will save you from many common moving day stresses. Hiring movers will save you time and help you avoid the hassle of driving a huge truck on the highway. Driving moving trucks is notoriously difficult and tricky. Trailers aren’t much better. We recommend hiring movers if driving and loading a large truck makes you nervous.
- You lose control – If you hire professional movers, you will have less flexibility. You can keep the time and date of the pickup and how the movers pack your items. If the moving company makes multiple stops, you may have to wait weeks for the truck. If you want complete control, hiring a moving service may be for someone else.
- It’s expensive. According to reports, the average cost of a local moving ranges between $875 and $2,350. Estimates may include a flat rate or an hourly fee. On average, local movers charge between $25 and $50 per worker. It may or may not include a dolly and a truck. Moving a four-bedroom house might run up to $1200. Moving outside the state can cost between $2,200 and $5,700, depending on the distance and weight. The average household’s possessions weigh around 7,500 pounds. What a pricey move! Hiring a mover will cost much, even if you move down the street or just a few blocks.
- You may not know the movers personally. It can be nerve-wracking to hand over your valuable belongings. It’s important to research, read reviews, and compare ratings before hiring a moving service to assist you. We recommend hiring movers from Moving.com’s network of insured and licensed movers to avoid scams. Ensure the moving company inspects your home in person or via video before providing a quote.
Hybrid Move: Hire Professional Movers for Part of the Move and Do Some DIY Work
Consider this: the average cost of moving locally is $1250, while a move long distance (distance over 1,000 miles) is $4890. These estimates are based upon a move of about 7,500 pounds for a house with two to three bedrooms. This is a large amount of money. You can do some of your moving yourself, even if you’re on a tight budget or have little stuff to move. The beauty of DIY moving or a hybrid move is that you can save a lot of money.
You can ask your friends and family to help you move by offering them pizza and cold drinks. However, anyone planning to move independently should consider hiring moving day laborers to assist. Let’s face it: no one wants to help move heavy furniture and boxes. Neither will their friends.
You can outsource moving day labor by paying a professional for each hour of work (normally, it is two hours minimum with increments between 15-30 minutes). They will load and unload the truck you rented from the previous destination. It’s not just rental trucks but also moving containers and storage units. Not all companies include packing, unpacking, and furniture disassembly.
More to Consider
Do you still need to decide if hiring a professional mover suits your situation? To help you decide, we’ve put together a list of questions.
How Much Time Have You Got?
Your move is a major undertaking. You’ll want to consider how long it will take to move out of your old home and into the new one. Are there any deadlines? Hiring professional movers may be more cost-effective if you have a deadline. Not only can they do the job for you, but they can also do it faster and more efficiently. They’ll also do it promptly. You don’t have to hire someone to do both ends. You may have time to pack boxes, but you need help unpacking to get started on a new job and prepare for the holidays. Use them when you need them.
What Is the Value of Your Time?
It is important to ask yourself this question. Get three quotes in person from moving companies. After you get their quote and know how long they expect them to move you, estimate how long it will take you and your family to do the work. Include the time you spend packing, loading the van, and any other tasks the movers would be responsible for. Be honest. You will need more time than the movers to complete the task.
Multiply your hourly rate by how many hours you estimate you need to move. If you make $50 per hour, multiply it by the number of hours that you estimate a day to be. Remember to include your partner’s hourly rate and time, the cost of moving supplies, a truck rental, and the gas used. After you add these costs to your hourly rate, it could cost less to hire professional moving services! Use our Packing Calculator and Moving Cost Calculator to estimate the number of boxes you will need.
How Far Have You Moved?
Moving to a different state or even another country is much more difficult than moving down the street. If you’re moving nearby, you can take small boxes and other items to your new home during the week. This will reduce the work you must do on the day you move. Moving nearby is also fairly simple in terms of logistics. On a moving day, you only need to rent a truck and pack your boxes. Long-distance moving can be complicated because you need to cross state borders. If you are moving abroad, your possessions must pass through customs. It’s better to leave these things in the hands of professionals than to stress yourself.
What Is the Area You Most Need Help With?
You can hire movers for some things. You can hire them for tasks you feel you need more confidence about. You can hire them if you only need assistance disassembling, lifting, and reassembling your furniture. If packing your entire belongings is overwhelming, let them help. You may have a few items you need help with packing. Professional movers will pack your art collection or a piece of special artwork. When moving, ask yourself what causes you the most stress. Hiring movers may be worth hiring if they take away your stress.
Are You Stocked With the Necessary Supplies?
You’ll also need packing tape and boxes. Moving supplies like dollies and moving blankets are also required. You’ll have to rent or buy them if you don’t own them. You’ll also need to hire help for moving day. Finding family members and friends willing to work in exchange for pizza can also be difficult. When you employ movers who are experts in their field, you need not worry about anything. They’ll bring workers, moving boxes, tape, and equipment.
What is your packing ability?
We could be better at packing to protect your belongings in the event of an accident; pack them carefully. This can be tricky if you have fragile or oddly shaped objects. You should also be able to move large items. You should be able to move a sofa down the stairs with a 90-degree turn without damaging any walls. Let movers handle these tasks if they seem overwhelming.
Are You Physically Fit?
Moving can be physically demanding. Hiring movers is a good idea if you suffer from chronic shoulder pain, back pain, or a bad leg. Hiring movers may be the best option if you find it difficult to bend, twist, or stand on your feet for long periods. You don’t have as much stamina as you used to? Also, movers can help. They can save you from pain and injury, as well as time.
You’ve Made Up Your Mind Yet?
We’ve got you taken care of if you hire professional movers for some or all of the work involved in your move. We have a large network of reliable and reputable movers that can pack and move the entire house and do all the heavy lifting. These movers are registered and bonded, so you can ensure your belongings are secure.
Hiring moving helpers versus undertaking a DIY moving hinges on various factors. Depending on your budget, time, and the amount of effort you’re willing to invest, both options have their merits.
While moving can seem daunting, the assistance of moving helpers like 5 Star Movers LLC can help streamline the process, taking the hassle and heavy lifting off your hands. However, DIY moving can be cost-effective if you’re more hands-on and willing to commit time and energy.
As with most decisions, ample research is key. So, consider your situation, understand the pros and cons, and decide on your needs. Whether hiring moving helpers or choosing DIY moving, careful planning and organization are essential for a successful transition.
If you want professional support, check out 5 Star Movers LLC. We offer top-notch services and efficient and reliable support to make your move seamless and stress-free. Opt for the best. Choose 5 Star Movers LLC for your moving needs today.
Dillon Buckley is a distinguished Moving Company Expert, renowned for his extensive knowledge and expertise in the realm of the moving industry. With an exceptional talent for articulating complex moving processes into easily digestible information, he has earned recognition as a go-to authority for individuals seeking guidance on relocation, packing, and everything in between.