It can take time to estimate the cost of moving. If you plan to move, you’re looking for an affordable and reliable company. Before you decide, it is important to know the cost of your move.
Our ultimate moving costs estimates can help. This article provides a detailed and accurate estimate of the cost of hiring a moving service. If you want to eliminate the stress of moving, this article is for you.
What Is the Average Cost of Moving?
The average cost of a local move is $1250. The average long-distance move costs $4 890. Distance is 1000 miles. These estimates are based on a move weighing approximately 7,500 pounds for a home with two to three bedrooms.
Local Move Cost
Are you moving from one city to another or even a neighboring city? A local relocation is what this is. Local moves can cost as little as $501 for a one-room apartment to as much as $2,988 or more for a four-bedroom house. Moving costs are determined by the size of your home and how many items you have to move.
|Studio-1 Bedroom||2-3 Bedroom||4-5 Bedroom|
|$501 – $985||$966 – $1,733||$1,941 – $2,988|
Cost of Moving per Hour
Costs for hiring a local moving company can range between $38 to $75 per hour per mover. The cost of two movers who work four hours per day is approximately $424. The table below gives an average moving cost (based on home size and hourly rate of $53 per mover).
|Home Size||# of Movers||#of Hours||Average Total Cost|
Moving Long Distance Cost
Moving companies have to factor in gas prices, tolls, and compensation for drivers when calculating the cost of a long-distance move. The cost of long-distance moving can range from $1,123 to $14,107, depending on your distance and the size of the move.
|# of Miles||Studio-1 Bedroom||2-3 Bedroom||4-5 Bedroom|
|250||$1,123 – $2,260||$2,272 – $4,343||$4,137 – $5,553|
|1000+||$1,442 – $3,024||$3,145- $5,958||$6,378 – $10,002|
|2500+||$1,920 – $4,272||$4,236 – $8,546||$9,546 – $14,107|
How to Calculate Moving Costs
What will the cost of moving be? Let us know where you’re moving and your new address.
What Factors Affect Moving Costs?
Calculate your moving costs by adding all necessary extras and moving costs. This includes:
- Travel fees: When moving long distances, travel fees can add up quickly. These fees include the cost of fuel and labor to get from A to B.
- Size of your move: Do you have a lot to move? Your belongings will weigh more, and the move will take longer. The cost of moving can go up. The higher the cost, the more you have to move.
- Packing services: While it may be convenient to have movers pack your belongings, you could spend an extra few hundred dollars. It is worth hiring packers because it saves you time, energy, and hassle.
- Additional services: Any services you select will impact the move’s price. The movers may provide moving supplies like mattress bags, felt pads, or stretch wraps.
- Storage: A moving company will store your possessions during or before the move. You will have to pay more for this service. ASK about specifics. Storage costs can vary widely from one moving company and another.
- Moving supplies: You must purchase moving supplies if you need help finding enough boxes. You may need cardboard boxes or plastic bins. This can include bubble wrap, packing paper, or other materials you may need to move.
- Moving date: Your move date is just as important as your actions. Your move date will influence the cost. Weekend moves, or those made in the peak season, cost more than during weekdays and off-season.
- Liability coverage and valuation coverage: Moving companies offer two types of protection, Basic Release Value, and Total Value. Consider buying additional moving insurance from a third-party provider.
Additional Moving Costs to Consider
You may have to pay more if you need these additional services or add-ons.
- Specialty moving: Moving specialty products requires special skills and materials. Expect to pay more if you need to move a special item, such as a hot tub or piano.
- Long carry fee: You may be charged a “long-carry” fee when a mover has to transport your household goods from and to a moving van. This fee is charged if a moving truck cannot park close to your home.
- Stair carry charge: This fee is charged by movers who are asked to move items up and down several flights of stairs. This fee is only charged when there are multiple floors in a house or more stairs than average.
- Elevator fee: There may be a charge if you require an elevator for your movement (such as in a high-rise building).
- Unpacking service: Do you require assistance in unpacking, cleaning up, and removing your supplies and debris from the home? Movers may charge this service.
- Shuttle fee: Some moving companies charge a shuttle fee to transport belongings between the truck and home. This service is required when a truck can’t park near the house. You may need a shuttle to transport items from your house to the truck if there are no parking spots near you.
- Storage: Do you require storage during or before your move? Extra charges will apply for transit, short-term and long-term storage.
- Extra stops: You can expect to pay more for additional stops. The number of stops determines the cost, distance, and labor. The mover may stop by your storage unit to pick up the items you want before they deliver them to your home.
- Expedited delivery services: Need to move fast? Moving long distances can take two weeks. You may have to pay for expedited shipping if you need your items quickly.
- Tipping: Tipping may not be required but is always appreciated. It’s a great way to thank you for a well-done job. If you plan to tip the moving company, keep cash on hand.
How to Cut Moving Costs in Half?
Do you want to save money on your next move? You can reduce the cost of moving to a new home in several ways.
- Removing excess items: The easiest way to reduce moving costs is by removing unwanted household items. Start by cleaning out your closet. Create a strategy to declutter each room. Donate furniture, clothing, and trinkets. If you’re looking to sell items, there are several options. You can consign, hold a yard or garage sale, or list them on Craigslist. Visit our guide to help you get rid of your clutter before moving.
- Rent a moving truck: Do you plan to do a DIY move? Renting a van and moving your things can save you thousands of dollars. A 26-foot moving truck can be rented for large families from a reliable rental company. These large trucks are capable of holding four bedrooms or even more.
- You can ask your friends and family for assistance. Ask your family and friends for help to avoid paying for moving services. Inform them in advance if you will need their assistance. Make sure they can lift heavy boxes or appliances.
- Free moving supplies and boxes: Find free moving boxes and supplies at local stores like supermarkets, liquor stores, large chains, schools, offices, and recycling drop-off locations. Free supplies are available on Craigslist and other websites such as U-Haul Box Exchange or Nextdoor.com.
- Rent a moving box: A moving container is a good alternative to hiring full-service movers. The size and duration of the portable moving box you rent will depend on your needs. The container business handles the rest. You only need to fill the container with your items.
- Packing yourself can help you save money: Even though many professional movers offer some packing assistance, the cost is high. Packing costs vary from moving company to moving company but are always at least a few hundred dollars. You can save money by packing or asking friends and family to help.
- Choose a cheaper moving date: The decision to move can greatly impact your costs. Moving mid-month or mid-week is generally the best option. The demand for moving services and the costs are usually lowest during this time. It is convenient to move on weekends, but these are few and far between, so customers compete for the dates. It is worth it to miss a day of work. Also, people move more in the summer. Seventy percent of all moving occurs between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Avoid moving during peak moving seasons. Consider moving in late autumn or winter to save money.
- Compare quotes from different movers. Contact at least three moving companies for quotes. Before providing you with a price, the mover must personally or virtually assess your possessions.
- Online quotes are not reliable. For the best quote, ensure the moving company is aware of any special items or extra care that may be required.
If you want to know if moving expenses can be deducted from taxes, keep your receipts. If you donated to charity before moving, your donation should be deducted. This change is expected to remain in place until at least 2025. The deduction is no longer available on federal tax returns. There are exceptions if you are a military member or need to revise a return submitted before the tax reform. Use an IRS tool to determine if moving costs can be deducted.
Moving can be stressful and overwhelming, particularly when determining moving costs. 5 Star Movers Yonkers offers the most accurate moving cost estimates to help you budget and plan effectively.
5 Star Movers Yonkers provides reliable and affordable moving services that will exceed your expectations. Our team of qualified and experienced movers will safely deliver all your possessions to your new home.
Do not let moving stress get to you. Calculate moving costs, and 5 Star Movers Yonkers will cover everything else. Call us today to schedule your move. We will make the process seamless and hassle-free.
What are the costs of moving?
A professional mover will cost you a minimum of $1,000. Local relocations cost around $1250 while long-distance transfers cost as high as $4,890. The cost of moving is affected by many variables, such as distance, weight, and labor.
How much does valuation coverage cost?
Federal law requires that all interstate movers provide their customers with Full Value Protection and Released Value. Your moving company can tell you the price of Full Value Protection. The cost of your move includes Released Value protection, the lowest liability level. This coverage is 60 cents per pound for an item. This coverage is free and considered the minimum. Full Value Protection offers the most comprehensive coverage. The mover must replace or reimburse an item’s current cash value if damaged or lost.
What are the ways to reduce moving costs?
Moving can be expensive. Moving costs can be reduced in several ways. Many ways exist to reduce moving expenses. You can reduce moving costs by removing unwanted items, taking advantage of discounts on moving, choosing a cheaper day, and even packing your belongings. It would help if you also got several moving quotes before hiring a company to move your items. Compare moving estimates to find the best deal.
What if only one piece of furniture needs to be moved?
You’re better off renting a truck or moving boxes for small moves. You’ll pay the minimum amount for full-service moving companies, no matter how small your move is. If you’re looking to save on a small move, it isn’t advisable to hire full-service movers.
Dillon Buckley is a distinguished Moving Company Expert, renowned for his extensive knowledge and expertise in the realm of the moving industry. With an exceptional talent for articulating complex moving processes into easily digestible information, he has earned recognition as a go-to authority for individuals seeking guidance on relocation, packing, and everything in between.